Reading through some feedback forms for an upcoming workshop, I was surprised to see that students consistently said they wanted to learn more about how they could get a high credit score. They obviously had heard about the importance of a good credit score but didn’t know how to achieve one.
This Kiplinger article provides insights into the good habits that consumers with high credit scores have:
- Most important: They pay bills on time.
- They minimize use of their available credit (i.e., they don’t max out their credit cards!)
- Maintain low or no balances on their revolving credit accounts (i.e., they pay off their credit cards and don’t carry debt over month to month).
- They have a lengthy credit history.
- They apply for credit only when needed.
- They choose their credit cards carefully.