This project idea from US News and World Report caught my eye:
Being a data guy, I was thinking of all the various analyses that students could complete with this spending log. I would encourage students to track this through a spreadsheet (MySpendingLog) which will make it easier to manipulate the data.
What questions would I ask them to answer?
- Did keeping this log have any impact on your spending during this time period? How?
- What categories did you spend most of your money on (e.g., groceries, movies, dining out, etc.)?
- In looking at where you spend your money, are these items most important to you? If not, why do you think you spent money on them?
- What payment method did you use most frequently (e.g., cash, credit card, debit card, etc.)? What are the pros/cons of paying this way?
- Any surprises on how you spent your money during this time period?
- Will this project change anything about how you think about money?