Questions for students:
- What key takeaways do you glean from this chart? What phrase might you use to summarize the chart?
- What do you think lead to the spike in unemployment rates in 2009 across all educational levels?
- What do you notice about the unemployment rate for “Some College” compared to “High School degree”? Do employers value students who start college but don’t earn a degree?
- Does a college degree become more/less valuable during challenging economic times? (Hint: compare differences in unemployment in 2009 (a challenging economic time) vs. 2015)
- Unemployment rates provide one way to look at value of education. What might be other measures that you would be interested in to see the value of education?